Thursday 13 August 2015

Calendula officinale



Today I picked some to the calendula flowers that I have been growing in my allotment.


I spread them out on a clean cloth on the table to dry

and added them to the already drying flowers.

When they are dry I will add them to some sunflower seed oil, packing as many of the bright orange petals in as possible and leave them to infuse into the oil.
I will strain the oil through clean muslin when it has become bright orange and I may warm it and add a little beeswax to make a healing ointment.

Calendula has anti-bacterial properties and will speed up the healing of wounds.

It's very easy to grow calendula and each plant makes a multitude of seeds.

The Romans brought calendula seeds with them when they came to live in Britain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment